Friday, August 5, 2011

Dirt Road Lesson: Learning To "Let Go And Let God"

Most days happen just like I plan them. I wake up, watch my favorite TV show (Golden Girls, anyone?) and go about my planned activities for the day. If that same routine happens enough days in a row it can start to feel as though I control my destiny and I plan how my days go.

And then days like Monday and Tuesday happen to show me that I am far from the title of Master of Destiny.

Monday started out just like I planned, with no surprises to speak of. I had a doctor’s appointment and things were on time and going as scheduled. I left the doctor’s office and headed to school to sign some paperwork in the Financial Aid office to make sure I could get aid for this semester. There’s no way I could afford tuition on my own, right?

Wrong.

Turns out, my financial aid would not be processed in time and I had to make financial agreements with the Bursar to ensure my schedule wouldn’t be dropped. Ok, no big deal. I head over to the Bursar’s office only to be told that the only way to ensure I could stay in school this semester was to make a payment plan and write a check for 1/3 of the amount of my tuition that day.

For those of you who don’t know, CajunGuy and I are trying to pay for a wedding that is set to happen October 1 – of this year! He was at work and couldn’t answer his phone when I called to discuss what was going on (aka The Wedding vs. School Debate that raged in my head). I had a decision to make: turn my back on school this semester and add at least a year to my projected Graduation date or write the check in faith and stand on God’s promise that He takes care of His children.

One expensive check later and I realized just how little control I have over anything. I went home feeling defeated and thanked God that the day was going to end in just a few hours.

And then Tuesday happened.

CajunGuy was working in Texas on an oil rig just outside of Houston when the thing I dread most happened: he got hurt on the job. I was more than 500 miles away and could do nothing to help him. All I could do was listen to him tell me that his hand had been crushed and he was on the way to the hospital.

…Seriously?!?

When CajunGuy finally got X-rays done he was left with an appointment for surgery on this coming Tuesday morning and the possibility of a limited work schedule during the time he recovers from everything.

His regular income would be really reduced and my mind started wondering how all the bills would get paid.
I was at the end of my rope…but I was strangely calm about it.
God was in control and I knew it.

I don’t (and I may never) know His reasons for any of this, but CajunGuy and I stand on the assurance of God's promise in Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.”

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!

Sweet reminder to family and friends:
Please don't reveal our last names, CajunGuy's real name or any other info that some creepo could use to find us. We'd feel reeeeeal bad if CajunGuy had to use said creepo for target practice! ;-)