Friday, June 29, 2012

Wisdom from Mom

My Mom is one of the smartest and strongest people I know.
How do I know? Well, she raised me. And believe me when I tell you, that was no easy task.

In the twenty-something years since I was born, I have learned a thing or two from my Mom.
In no particular order, here are some of the things she has (very patiently) taught me:
  • It is not OK to drive late at night in a strange neighborhood with your best friends when you are only 16. You get your license taken away for that. And not by the state either, folks.
  • When she says we are leaving for a certain time, she means it. You will get left behind. Trust me.
  • She is always right when it comes to seeing a person for who they really are. How I wish I had learned to recognize that one waaaaay earlier in life!
  • How to drive. Ask her about the mailbox incident. She never tires of that story. ;-)
  • Bladder Control. "I asked you if you needed to go before we left the house. You'll just have to hold it until we get there."
  •  Finances. "What do I look like? A bank? If you want it, you'll have to earn it."
  • An infinite number of ways to cook hot dogs when you're on a budget. Weenie stew, weenie casserole, weenie and chili mac, boiled weenies, cold weenies...
  •  Play-time with your younger brother is best spent away from the stairs. Apparently pushing your sibling down the stairs in a laundry basket is a bad decision. Can't blame a nerd for testing the laws of physics!
  • Always wear clean underwear in case you end up in an ambulance or hospital. Just a thought here: if I were in a bad enough situation (a car accident, let's say) to warrant an ambulance or hospital visit, I think they kind of expect that my underwear will *not* be clean at that point.
  • The power of prayer. "You better pray this stain comes out."
  •  Gratefulness. "You'll thank me some day."
Mom, you were right. I am grateful for all the wisdom. My future children will be calling you quite often to tell you how "mean" I am. I guess you suspected as much though, right? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!

Sweet reminder to family and friends:
Please don't reveal our last names, CajunGuy's real name or any other info that some creepo could use to find us. We'd feel reeeeeal bad if CajunGuy had to use said creepo for target practice! ;-)