Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hi, my name is Liz and I have a problem...

...I'm a procrastinator.

Yes, friends, I put things off until the very last minute.
My most recent procrastination-induced-panic: Forgetting to find something to wear to a wedding I'm attending tomorrow. I posted this little fact on my Facebook status only to have someone comment, "Same old you." Guess my secret shame isn't so invisible, is it? HAHA!

I really did have good intentions of shopping long before today. But, as the saying goes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. (And I'm an expert at paving that road apparently!)

While I'm not exactly proud of my tardiness, it has made for some pretty funny moments in my life.

It all started with my birth. I was late for my own due date. My Mom needed a C-section to get me out. I basically got forcibly evicted from the womb. That should have been my Mom's first clue.

My poor Mom had the hardest time with me. She even took a cue from her favorite show, Everybody Loves Raymond in an effort to curb my less-than-stellar punctuality. In one episode, Ray was having a hard time getting his wife Deborah to be ready on time so he implemented the "A.I.S." rule. The A.I.S. rule (short for Arse In Seat) meant that Ray gave Deborah a time to be sitting in the seat of the car, ready to go. If she wasn't A.I.S. by his specified time, he would leave her at home. I guess my Mom really took a liking to the idea because it has been a family rule for as long as I can remember. And I have also been left behind more times than I care to admit because of this rule.  
Well played, Mom. Well played.

Then there was my 8th grade Graduation. I was the last person to show up. Dead last. End of the line. Caboose. (And as I recall, I was late because I spent the afternoon searching for a dress. I think there's a theme going on here...)

And my Senior year of High School? Late almost every day. The office staff knew me so well they just wrote out tardy slips before I even got there. Wanna know the funniest part of all this? I lived around the corner from school. Literally around the corner. So close that I could have hit the school's parking lot with a rock while standing in my backyard.

Oh, and on the first day of my first year in college guess what I was? Yes, LATE! So late in fact that I skipped the class entirely that day.  
Mom, if you're reading this (and I know you are), I hope you already knew that little fact. Otherwise, I pray you'll send me to my room as punishment. ;-)

I worked for my parents for years after high school and during college and guess what happened each morning? Let's just say I didn't win a punctuality award at the employee Christmas Lunch each year.

My wedding day? Just as I was almost done getting ready I looked down and my hands and realized I forgot to get my nails done. Guess what I was doing with one of my bridesmaids 2 hours before I had to be in the limo?? If you guessed "looking for a nail salon", congrats! I actually had to skip this part of my wedding day primping because of how late I was trying to get it done.

But if you think it's all doom and gloom being like this, think again. It has actually made me less worried about the trivial stuff in life. It was a serious learning curve, but when you're late for something all. the. time. it leaves you less time to sweat the small stuff. Seriously. How important does getting your makeup on seem when you're 10 minutes behind schedule for a doctor's appointment you waited 4 weeks to get? See what I mean? :-)

Speaking of makeup, I've got a 6pm AIS time for tomorrow's wedding so that means I should probably start getting ready now if I hope to make it! LOL

Here's hoping I won't get left behind by CajunGuy!

Update: I didn't get left! I made AIS time! Aren't you so proud?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!

Sweet reminder to family and friends:
Please don't reveal our last names, CajunGuy's real name or any other info that some creepo could use to find us. We'd feel reeeeeal bad if CajunGuy had to use said creepo for target practice! ;-)