Friday, May 11, 2012

Frugal Friday: Banana Chimichangas

Perfect way to end an evening!

I have an insatiable sweet tooth lately.
Some days it's a craving for something fried (yes, I knooooow), some days it's a craving for a piece of fruit and some days (like yesterday) it's a craving for both.

The cheapo in me started thinking of all the ways I could combine the two without spending a fortune. I thought of going to Sonic for some French Toast, but that was more trouble than it's worth. (In money and calories!)

So I stood in my kitchen with nothing more than a craving and a budget.
I dug around until I found flour tortillas and a banana. Oh, the glory!

The Banana Chimichanga was born!
And, because I like the kitchen but don't care to spend all day in there, this recipe is super simple! 


You will need:
  • 1 banana (I prefer the spotty ones!)  $0.13
  • 1 flour (or corn) tortilla  $0.20
  • 1 Tbsp. peanut butter (optional)  $0.08
  • 1/2 C. Canola/Vegetable Oil for frying  $0.31
  • 1 Tbsp. Honey for garnishing (optional, but highly recommended!) $0.11
  • Brown Sugar/Cinnamon mixture for garnishing (optional, but again, highly recommended!) $0.03
  • An awesome post-snack workout to reduce the number of pounds this snack can pack on.

 Directions:
  1. Using shallow pan, heat approximately 1/2 cup of oil to 325 degrees. (You may need more or less depending on your pan size.) 
  2. While oil is heating, spread peanut butter on tortilla in a thin layer. (If not using peanut butter, skip this step.) 
  3. Place a whole banana on tortilla and roll up until sealed. 
  4. Place rolled tortilla in hot oil, seam side down, and fry approximately 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
  5. Drain your chimis on a paper towel and garnish with honey and brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
Total cost: $0.86 (!!!)

While it's not the healthiest thing in the world, I console myself with the fact that it does contain 1/3 of my recommended daily fruit intake. 

And the fact that it costs me less than a buck to make? That just makes it even easier to eat one.  

Or two. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!

Sweet reminder to family and friends:
Please don't reveal our last names, CajunGuy's real name or any other info that some creepo could use to find us. We'd feel reeeeeal bad if CajunGuy had to use said creepo for target practice! ;-)