Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dirt Road Lesson: Attitude Is Everything

Can I admit something here, y'all? 
My attitude stinks sometimes. I mean bottom-of-the-trashcan kinda stink. Not pretty.

At times I have the inclination to believe that my sometimes rough circumstances cause my bad attitude. I have been known to sulk, pout and withdraw during these times. 
It doesn't make anything better. In fact, it just makes them worse. 

CajunGuy's job takes him away from home for days (sometimes weeks) at a time. It has been a difficult adjustment to say the least. There are so many times that he misses appointments, holidays and important dates in order to go to work. 

I'll be honest: I hate it.

I will also extend my honesty to tell you that it often is not as bad as I make it out to be.
It could be worse. He could be out of work again. He could be permanently injured. He could have to work in a dangerous foreign country for weeks at a time like so many people we know.

The thing that makes it hard is something I have control over: my attitude.
It makes or breaks my whole outlook.
It is not my circumstances that dictate my attitude, but rather my attitude that determines my circumstances.

I can choose to pout and get angry when CajunGuy has to leave and that does nothing except hurt me and hurt the guy who is already heartbroken that he has to miss so much just to provide for us. Or I can choose to be thankful for a guy who loves me enough to work so hard to support me. 

Either attitude will get you somewhere, but is it somewhere you want to be?

Today I choose gratitude.

What about you? What attitude will you choose today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!

Sweet reminder to family and friends:
Please don't reveal our last names, CajunGuy's real name or any other info that some creepo could use to find us. We'd feel reeeeeal bad if CajunGuy had to use said creepo for target practice! ;-)